Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Think About How We Died.


                                   Mass Grave Site at Dachau Concentration Camp.
                                   Translation: 'Think about How We Died'

If you do not know the place beforehand, you wouldn't know what history it holds. What I see now, is a lot of open spaces and beautiful sights all around. At first glance, it is almost impossible to believe that this place has witnessed tortures of extreme kind. Of a kind, that no one in their right mind would  wish it for anyone.

The place I am standing right now is part cemented, part gravel. No one knows, how many people died on this very ground. For no reason. Anyone who stood out among others. Too tall. Too short. Too fat. Too thin. Too much beard. Anyone out of the ordinary perished.

'There is no laughter here. Only Devil laughs at this place. And I am the Devil.'

'You are no longer in Germany. You will be treated like the pieces of shit that you are'

These two lines were often repeated by the SS guards here, I am told.

I am walking through the same barracks, they used to live. The gas chambers, where they took ‘showers’. The torture rooms, where they were made to stand for days without any food. The Dark rooms, where they lived in confinement, without sunlight, for months. Without sense of time. And purpose.

 It just reaffirms the thought, that we all have evils. And we spend all our life controlling it. Diffusing our evilness in small, harmless doses every now and then. But, when given an opportunity, with power in our hands, to express our hatred and evilness, there is no limit to the torture we can inflict upon our fellow beings. Evilness flows in our blood. We don't see it. But, it is there. It gets a slight opening and it floods our thoughts and actions.

I like to think human beings as complex mixture of organic and inorganic compounds, with a heart. At this place, (and at many others), the heart part died in a few. And mind, left on its own, wrecked havoc. It was our collective failure.

I can go on, but I don’t want to. After a visit to the concentration camp, I have no problems in life. My life is a bed of roses.

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. – Nietzsche

Sorry, for starting the new year with this post. I have many things to write, but I wanted to start with this one. I wish that all of you, find that ‘Why?’ in your life very soon. I visited this place on 25th Dec. Ironical?

18 comments:

  1. Will read more on this...a very deep post. And dont be sorry coz u shudnt be! Life is a bed of roses for ppl like us who do not know what others might have gone thru.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Place is near Munich. And there are lots of documents and books related to this. You can start with Man's search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Mesmerizing book.

      Delete
  2. Kunal...i think i knw why u began new year on this note. And yes this is one of my fav quote as well..this post of urs is very reflective n profound..guess its time for us to find that why before its too late..
    PS: stories on concentration camps make me feel very sad.. N a denial comes to be my shield..for indeed the mind protects itself from imagining such tortuture n humiliation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know? :)
      Though the place left me quite sad and a bit depressed, I am glad I went there. We should always take lessons from our history.

      Delete
  3. I have seen so many movies and documentaries of places which have similar history. They haunt you even when you are not a part of it. I will surely search for this place...

    Happy New Year Kunal:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...they haunt. But no movie or documentary can give the chilling feel as compared to what we feel by actually visiting the place.

      Happy new year to you too Saru. :)

      Delete
  4. yes i knew about the place....i feel disgusted on the cruelity and harassment they felt. but today its not differnt when the people are dying because of malnutrition and lack of basic civil amenities.....nyways happy new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes..A guilty conscience...its no difference even now...

      A happy new year to you too :)

      Delete
  5. The cruelty....where is humanity. It lacks even now I think.
    That is one of my favorite quotes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..but I like to believe that there are more good people than bad ones..and hence we are all still here :)

      Delete
  6. Good one to start with. I can't even dare to imagine it. But, yeah, as you said, our lives is a bed of roses when compared to theirs.

    Happy New Year.... :) And oh yes, You win this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep..can't even imagine.

      mujhe to jeetna hi tha...is saal bhi jeetunga :)

      Delete
  7. well sad.. people have gone through worse . than any of us ever thought of ..

    so yeah lets not forget what they went through..


    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Bikram, we shouldn't forget.

      Delete
  8. The best movie I have watched about the holocaust is "The boy in the striped pyjamas"..it just kicked me in the shins..watch it if u get a chance..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the film some time back. It was so gut wrenching.

      Delete
  9. Chanced upon this post of yours. World History has always deeply interested me and the reason I'm speaking here is I dont know if you've read Mein Kampf.Hitler's mind is a very complicated one and one that seeks to continously subvert our standard , "normal" concepts of beauty, humanity- leave alone morality.When we look at German History, the things he did for power and how he is capable of furnishing his worst deeds with sufficient reasons, that surprisingly is portrayed as convincing in his book-I feel- this was one curse Germany wont forget post Weimar Republic's crash- the only man who claimed to save them, was the man who ruined them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sheelonee,

    No, I haven't read Mein Kampf. But I have been recommended this book by a few. I think, I will get around to read it real soon. Yes, despite him being one of the most notorious person known to human race, there is definitely something charming about his persona, which is as terrifying as it is worth understanding for our own good.

    ReplyDelete