Thursday, March 18, 2010

El secreto de sus ojos (The Secret In Their Eyes)


To start with, this movie won this year oscars for best foreign language film. So, I had to check it out.
Language: Spanish
Country: Argentina
Runtime: 129 mins
My Rating: 3.5/5 (Like it Matters!!! :P)

The title suggests that the film is a fun, romantic movie. The truth is no where near this perception. Yes, it is a romantic movie, but in its own way and it is more like a sub-plot. Running within thick but transparent layers of murder mystery, emotional and psychological stress and imbalance and a classic revenge story. The Plot is basically of trying to find a person 30 years after, who slipped away after committing a brutal rape and murder. The film uses back and forth scenes technique which is quite common now a days, but it never gets confusing. The movie unfolds itself layer by layer and mostly relies on tense, speechless scenes without using too much background music.

The Pacing is even. The scenes are never forced. Dialogues are absolutely perfect and there is a bit of symbolism in different scenes and proceedings (I hope you find it!!). I did not know any of the actors before, but I am sure they must be well respected as the acting is impressive. And the ending is very logical.

So, this might not be best movie you will see this year, but its a good watch neverthless.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, 3.5 !!!! Well, You have truly become a critic. Anyway, from the review it looks to me as a murder msytery only, how can it be a romantic?

    I don't watch a lot of movies these days, even a great movie makes me fall asleep. I wonder if I am growing old :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. @psycho:
    ab aur kitna old grow karega??
    And as I said...its romantic..in its own way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, ok. Abe, I have to live till 80 and right now i am 26 something....

    ReplyDelete