Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Lost Asset

Keeping Bhagwad Geeta's most overused statement - 'Tumhara kya tha jo tum kho rahe ho' on the corner for the time being, I can lay claim on one thing which was purely mine. No, I did not bring it with me on this planet as a gift from imaginary powers and ofcourse it did not come overnight due to some spider bite. But, it was mine and I got it through a steady progress of time. I was too small at that time to understand overwhelming praise and generally positive impression which it creates, and when the time and oppurtunities has run out to make amends, I am sensing a blankness which that asset has created by abondoning me. Friends, I am talking about my handwriting. There was a time in my school days, when it was the talk of the town(ok, sorry...a bit too much exaggeration) and I garnered some kind and enthusiastic words from my teachers (and parents offcourse) for my neat and 'motiyon' jaise achhar. And the very fact that I was good at it inspired me to write more and more. I could easily write on and on and then sit back, enjoy and admire the neat pages filled with neat words.

Ah...gone are the days. The advent of laptop, computers and cell phones not only limited the chances of 'milan of pen and paper', but sadly made me regret after seeing the paper when that 'milan' did happen. The pressures of work and time made it worse. I think, I first noticed the decline in the first year of working life, when the shapes of the letters were not what they had looked before. The letters have become increasingly unrecognisable. 'b' and 'd' have become alien to each other and 'f' uses the F word every time it sees 'e', unmindful of the fact that they are immediate neighbours.

I pity myself...for that lost asset!!

2 comments:

  1. Hehe...Even I was very fond of writing. That activity, I used to enjoy till the last semester of college, when we had to write our practical files, workshop files etc. But, when I got my laptop, pens and pencils were kept away from sight. If someone asked me to get a pen, I had to search for it, and it didn't appear before I had gone through each and every litter of my room.

    I wonder how our next generation will do all their writing. Hey, your choice of font for the blog post is quite decent. Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe...such fondness for handwriting..more than being cute, it's so beautifully human :)

    ReplyDelete