Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My Project is 100% Behind!!

I dont know if anybody else has faced this situation, but since i am facing it for the first time(bahut kuch life mein pehli baar hota hai mamu!!!!), in my short but eventful software career, I could not resist myself sharing this with my fellow readers. Yes Yes Yes...I say it..MY PROJECT IS 100% BEHIND. In case you are puzzled, let me explain. Day before yesterday was supposed to be the end date of my project and HAHAHA(i am literally laughing), the project has not yet started. I will not explain the technicalities(no body wants to know that ....i know) as to why and how this situation came, but still if I look at the weeks gone by, I conclude that Oh! What a project?

But still dont be in a illusion that since the project didnt even took of, I had an easy going these last weeks. I had quite a time explaining my different categories of 'M*!#$%&S' as to why the project could not be started. I guess this is the first time in the history of our application that the project is behind by such a huge margin. I can see and understand the tension, the feeling of uneasiness on the faces of my M*!#$%&S. They ask me if any sort of workaround can be done. And I say nothing can be done unless..this and that ...blah blah blah is ready. The fun starts when they ask exactly why you cannot start? And I jump on the first chance to explain them as technically as possible. My sentences are studded with technical jargons to which even they dont have any reply. And they just say "OK OK!!, Kunal, just keep me posted on the progress. And I happily say 'Sure, I will do that!.

You may think that I am making fun of the situation. But the truth is I am trying to find humour in this as I have learnt long back that cutting a sorry figure wont improve the situation. On the contrary, it may make it worse. So why not just rejoice in the record which I have just created. This is true that this particular project has made my life worse(as if it was good before...huh??). I have been spending more late nights in the office, attending more calls explaining the -'No progess 'situation at different levels sacrificing my precious sleep every now and then. But I know, the situation which I am in is nobody's fault or may be everybody's. So, Why not just talk about it and take it in your stride and just say - OK, IT HAPPENS SOMETIMES!!

Every evening when my M*!#$%&S calls me and ask for the latest development at the end of the day and he gets the same old news, he helplessly says - Kunal, you are giving me the same update for the last 3 weeks. And I cheerfully say - Dont Worry, Lets hope of a better tomorrow.

I really hope of a better tomorrow. Oops I got another update. My project is now 42.9%behind...and that too after the 3rd replan. HEHE...

P.S - Please do not disclose my Poor employer while commenting as you see I am a poor fellow and I have only one poor job which I cannot afford to lose now. :-)

5 comments:

  1. Hehe...Welcome to the IT industry. This happens all the time. But, I had never thought that it can be so funny at times. If your M@$%@$e$5 stumbles upon this blog, he might not be able to figure out who the author is, but surely, would take counter measures while dealing with you in future.

    Keep me informed about the status of your project . :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frequently hota hai bhai in your team/project meee. You should not feel for this type of situations...instead njoy,....

    ReplyDelete
  3. These kind of special situations (100% behind schedule), not all people in IT field face. So feel lucky to be a selected person to face such a funny situation even if in the back stage its a serious one. So enjoy the situation like Diwali and Christmas. By the way the blog was toio good to read.. I really enjoyed reading that.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delays are a part of IT ...... If man becomes perfect then wouldn't he be GOD . Hence enjoy the blunder made in the proj estimation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello buddy! I am Mr."M@$%@$e$5" :). Now our project is 100% ST completed. Really ur blogs are intresting to read and i enjoyed reading it many times when it was 100% behind the schedule :(. I wish to get you back in my next project "PB288" too and we will try to make it 100% delay in schedule once again :))

    ReplyDelete